Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents
New York has one of the highest populations of pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic in the world. With millions of commuters and residents walking, biking, driving, and riding on the same streets on any given day, accidents are highly likely to occur. Unfortunately, pedestrians and bicyclists often bare the most significant injuries from collisions with motor vehicles, particularly when drivers are distracted or neglect to yield to the right of way.
At the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, we have been fighting back for victims of pedestrian traffic and bicycle accidents for over 40 years. Our experienced personal injury attorneys provide the aggressive representation needed to help victims and their families explore their legal options after an accident to ensure that negligent parties are held accountable for the injuries they caused.
Common Causes of Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents
Hundreds of pedestrians and bicyclists are injured every year on the streets of New York. Pedestrian and bicycle injuries can be catastrophic and life-changing. The impact of a motor vehicle on the body at even a moderate speed can result in broken bones and organ damage, while vehicles who collide with pedestrians or bicyclists at higher speeds pose the threat for causing permanent disabilities and fatal injuries.
Pedestrian and bicycle accidents can involve a number of situations:
- Failure to Yield: Drivers of motor vehicles in the city often fail to yield to pedestrians and bicyclists who have the right-of-way.
- Left-Hand and Right-Hand Turns: Motor vehicles often turn too quickly when trying to go left to avoid hitting oncoming cars, and can easily strike a cyclist or pedestrian in the process. Additionally, motor vehicles can also strike pedestrians and cyclists when quickly turning right, without looking or anticipating anyone crossing before taking a sharp turn.
- Hit-and-Runs: Drivers who strike someone walking or biking may fear the legal consequences if they were at fault. Leaving the scene of the accidents proves especially dangerous for accident victims when emergency services are not called immediately.
- Distracted or Drowsy Drivers: It only takes a driver nodding off for a second or one quick look down at a cell phone to miss a pedestrian or bicyclists on the road.
- Drunk and/or Impaired Drivers: Any driver who is under the influence can swerve into bicycles in the bike lane or miss a pedestrian crossing at the crosswalk.
- Construction Zone Accidents: Falling scaffolding, tools, debris, or other hazards can cause injuries to walkers on the sidewalk and bikers in bike lanes.
When it comes to any accident involving motor vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists are at an even higher risk of sustaining catastrophic injuries than the drivers and passengers in the car. With no more than the possibility of a helmet for protection, people who are injured in these types of accidents can sustain horrific injuries such as:
- fractures or broken bones
- internal organ damage
- traumatic brain injury
- spinal cord damage
- lacerations and contusions
- partial or full amputations
- severe burns
Some of these injuries can take years of doctor appointments, surgeries and rehabilitation to recover from, accompanied by expensive prescriptions and medical bills. In the worst cases, victims of pedestrian and bicycle accidents may never recover from their injuries, resulting in life-altering consequences including loss of employment, destroyed personal relationships, and an overall decreased quality of life.
We Advocate For Your Rights After Your Accident
Traffic accidents happen quickly and proving liability for injuries is not always simple. We understand the nature of these types of incidents and what insurance companies require to prove liability for full policy claims. Our team diligently reviews every detail of your accident: interviewing witnesses, investigating crash sites, reconstructing scenes and even seeking advice from the top professionals on the scope of your injuries and the damages sustained. We gather every fact necessary in a timely manner to represent your case successfully and gain the compensation necessary to get you back on your feet.
Contact Us To Fight For You
The road to recovery is never easy after an accident and the additional stress of the legal process can seem overbearing at the least. Let our team provide the care you deserve during this painful period and help you fight back against the negligent parties that caused your unnecessary injuries. Contact the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel, & Bavaro today for a free consultation to review your case and explore your options.