Some accidents are so severe, the damage they result in can be described as nothing less than catastrophic. Whether caused by a motor vehicle crash, medical malpractice, occupational injury, or a trip and fall accident, the injuries resulting from these types of incidents can be completely debilitating and, in the worst cases, can alter a person’s quality of life forever.
Catastrophic injuries require years, if not a lifetime, of medical treatments, surgeries, and therapies that can add up to a tremendous amount of time and financial loss. Our attorneys at the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel, & Bavaro understand the global implications a catastrophic injury can have on a person’s life. The physical struggles and financial hardships alone are a hard burden too bear, without having to take on the extra task on proving liability for your accident.
What Are Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic accidents result in injuries that completely alter a person’s life, common examples include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Traumatic impacts to the head in an accident can cause serious and even permeant damage to the brain. Brain injuries can result in cognitive, psychological, emotional, or physical deficiencies that were not present prior to the injury. Some victims never fully regain their personality after these types of accidents and may even require assisted living services going forward.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Severe injuries to the spinal cord can have serious effects on an individual’s ability to walk, resulting in various levels of paralysis depending on the type of accident. Victims of spinal cord injuries can also suffer from chronic pain, dismemberment or amputation, loss of bowel and bladder ability, and bulging and herniated discs.
- Burns Injuries: Millions of people report burn injuries every year. Burn injuries can leave permanent scars on victims, taking years to recover from and requiring painful medical procedures if the process of skin grafting is needed.
- Amputations or Dismemberment: Amputation injuries involve any accident that has resulted in a body part being detached from the body. In some cases, body parts are so severely injured or infected that medical professionals are forced to remove them to save the life of the patient.
- Severe Fractures and Broken Bones: Bones that are fractured or broken during an accident require appropriate time to heal. Some bone breaks are so catastrophic, the bone is completely shattered and requires a schedule of surgeries to repair.
- Loss of Senses (vision, hearing, etc.): Nothing can be more devastating to an individual than losing their ability to hear or see. Accidents that involve the loss of any sense requires a person to completely change their life to adapt to their new condition.
These are only a few of the horrifying injuries individuals have sustained after a catastrophic accident. Most of these require patients to seek a lifetime of specialists to recover, resulting in endless appointments, treatments, procedures and expensive medical bills to pay.
What To Do After Your Injury
The sudden shock you feel after a catastrophic injury can make it hard to determine what to prioritize, especially when the accident was caused at the fault of someone else. To begin, your health comes first. Making sure you handle all pertinent health issues prior to seeking any legal advice is always in your best interest. Once you are healthy enough, contact an attorney regarding your accident to determine what your legal rights are and if you may be eligible for compensation to help pay for the damages.
It’s imperative for victims of catastrophic accidents to seek an attorney with experience in traumatic personal injuries to provide a significant advantage in securing the best possible outcome. Particularly when injury is due to negligence, our dedicated attorneys are up for the pursuit of achieving fair compensation, providing strong and supportive legal representation throughout the entirety of the case.
Let Us Stand Up For You
Your recovery after a catastrophic accident should be your number one priority. Don’t take a chance that the insurance companies will be on your side. Let our experienced catastrophic injury team take on the task of standing up for your legal rights. With the utmost respect for your specific needs, we will protect you and your family from getting lost in the legal system and help you secure the reasonable compensation you deserve to start rebuilding your future.